Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Non-Denominational Cookie Party

Yesterday I attempted to initiate a tradition. Evidently my action was brave, but we had a helluva lot of fun. I invited the Mom's and Small People over for a cookie making party. The dough was Mary Kirby Sugar cookies (the awesomest cookie in the history of man), the cutters included elephants, tiaras and stars of David and the sprinkles were orange, yellow, pink and green. Really, I aimed as wild as I could get and I discovered that in my kitchen, it's just not that hard to get wild. So, we covered a folding table in trash bags, kept it on the floor as a work surface and let the monkeys go. There were some hairy moments with rolling pins, but they were all game. Cutters were flourished, noise was made, sugar sprinkled. Anyone who is curious: 18 month olds love, LOVE sprinkles. We had beverages, there was coffee cake, and Nana kept everything moving and grooving by cleaning up, pulling the wagon down the hall occasionally, and manning the ovens. I now see that I could not have done this without her presence!
Jen getting Zach and Rudy to work the camera.
All the children were stripped to diapers-- you'll see why this was a good plan.

(Clockwise from Left) Rudy, Sam and Zach

In progress

Elisabeth and Rudy
Can I just add, all these women are GORGEOUS. It's a little crazy and ever so slightly intimidating!

Sam loved to sprinkle. It is both "shakey-shakey" and a process of removing objects from one space into another.

Rudy tasting the results of his labor.
Sam is intrigued.

Rudy, Evil Genius


The Results.

And now we are off into the land of toddler parallel play...

Beata and Camila-- she needed to check out the dogs next door first.

Rudy's orange, glittery, sprinkled feet.

Elijah and Camila
Jen and Sam, Elijah's beautiful red head in the foreground.

Fierce, wonderful Camila.

Jen read to Sam and Zach. Jen and Zach did all the moves in "Head to Toe,"
and Sam was deeply confused why they kept moving and not reading.
Yeah, I'm certain this tradition is a keeper. Next time, we hope to see Katelyn, maybe Claire and whomever Kindra's baking. Happy Holidays to all.

No comments: